The Big Five is the most heavily research-backed, widely applied personality test. Openness to Experience, Extraversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism, and Conscientiousness all predict hundreds of outcomes across human life.
Of highest note, Conscientiousness predicts:
- Health: More longevity, less drug abuse, risky sex & driving, unhealthy eating, violence, and suicide rates
- Education: More education, higher GPAs, and lower failure rates
- Wealth: Higher salary & status, longer tenure, and better production rates
And who's the healthiest, smartest, wealthiest person in fiction? Of course! It's Michael Bluth from Arrested Development!
Michael is a model representative for all six components of conscientiousness:
- Self-Efficacy: Every problem has a solution that he'll figure it out (since no one else will.)
- Orderliness: Always has a schedule, though others get in his way.
- Dutifulness: Strong sense of moral obligation to do what's right, and, unlike his father, a sense of duty to support the family.
- Achievement-Striving: Aims to elevate his family out of their model home and into a new era of Bluth prosperity, which was arrested when Michael Bluth Sr. went to prison.
- Self-Discipline: The only one in the family willing to to do the dirty work episode in, episode out. He perseveres through the pain of interacting with poor decision-makers daily.
- Cautiousness: Michael thinks through every action, devises multiple strategies, and considers all possible outcomes before initiating plans- not that any of them go right. But he tries.
See how conscientious you are, then increase your score if you can!